tiny type

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 28 18:08:49 BST 2009

On 2009/08/28 12:32 (GMT-0400) Gracia M. Littauer composed:

> I have almost stopped using kmail...though I can't find another email client I
> like.

> I have kde 4.2.4/kmail 1.11.4...I can't change the type size in the incoming
> message list or message contents. Makes getting my email a long chore.

> Though I use ZEN I understand SuSE has the same problem. I have asked about
> this in other places (ZEN, KDE  IRC) & either get no answer or no one uses
> kmail or say they have no problem. I can't believe I & my SuSE guru are the
> only people with this problem.

This might be a symptom of a more general DPI problem. For initial
troubleshooting, answer these questions:

Is your display a CRT, or a flat panel?
What size is your display?
What screen resolution is your display (e.g. 1280x1024)?
What screen resolution is your X set to use?
What is your gfxcard chip?
What video driver do you use?
In desktop settings, is DPI forced to some number other than 96?
In desktop settings, is DPI forced to 96?
In personal settings -> fonts, what sizes are set for the various fonts?
In KInfoCenter, what resolution and DPI are shown for X?
What is the result of 'xrdb -query | grep dpi'?
In Firefox, what DPI does http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/dpi-screen-window.html show?
In Konq, what DPI does http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/dpi-screen-window.html show?

Upload somewhere a screenshot showing what fonts you don't like in KMail
along with something with fonts working as you like, and post its URL here.
Include somewhere in the screenshot the window showing the resolution/DPI
result of 'kcmshell xserver' or 'kcmshell4 xserver'

http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/fonts-linux-about.html should provide some
useful background, and maybe your solution.
--
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose
understanding rather than silver. Proverbs 16:16 NKJV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/