KDE desktop Lenny

allen meyers texas.chef94 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:03:50 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 12:35 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <49E8B3E8.20302 at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>, Chris Jones wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >> In <c9e554c70904092123n355ea050n939c4e8e0e6db9a8 at mail.gmail.com>, Allen
> >> Meyers

> >> For virtually everything that comes with KDE, simply do:
> >> aptitude instlal kde
> >> as root, on the command-line.
> >>
> >> This will give you a mix of 3.5.9 and 3.5.10 packages.  Introducing KDE
> >> 4 to Debian stable won't happen until Squeeze is released (which will
> >> probably be 16+ months).
> >
> >Just to offer a different point of view, if you are completely new to
> >KDE I would not suggest starting of learning KDE3 now. KDE4 is very
> >different, the way of the future and the latest KDE 4.2 release is
> >pretty stable.
>
> I agree that KDE 4 is the way of the future and that KDE 4.2 is fairly
> stable.  I'm using it myself.
>
> I don't agree that KDE 4 is very different from KDE 3 on the surface.[1]  I
> have a virtually identical setup under KDE 4.2 as I had under KDE 3.5.  I am
> still missing a few things because KDE 4.2 is still not as complete as KDE
> 3.5.10.
>
> Moving from KDE 3.5.10 to whatever KDE 4 is "shipped" with Squeeze should be
> relatively painless.  There may even be a kdesktop+superkaramba+kicker ->
> plasma converter (either as part of kaboom, or just part of KDE).
I sincerely appreciate your post and its perspective. The novices cannot
appreciate those nuances of change (thats me)that the experience user
can. I am not anti growth and change, but from my perspective I could
have lived with pre 3.5 as I was comfortable and that was way back when
I was struggling with SUSE which was enough learning curve. Anyway
thanks again

Allen