KDE desktop Lenny

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Fri Apr 17 18:35:20 BST 2009

In <49E8B3E8.20302 at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>, Chris Jones wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <c9e554c70904092123n355ea050n939c4e8e0e6db9a8 at mail.gmail.com>, Allen
>> Meyers
>>
>> wrote:
>>> Please advise me how to install the complete KDE desktop to 5.0 Debian
>>
>> For virtually everything that comes with KDE, simply do:
>> aptitude instlal kde
>> as root, on the command-line.
>>
>> This will give you a mix of 3.5.9 and 3.5.10 packages.  Introducing KDE
>> 4 to Debian stable won't happen until Squeeze is released (which will
>> probably be 16+ months).
>
>Just to offer a different point of view, if you are completely new to
>KDE I would not suggest starting of learning KDE3 now. KDE4 is very
>different, the way of the future and the latest KDE 4.2 release is
>pretty stable.

I agree that KDE 4 is the way of the future and that KDE 4.2 is fairly
stable.  I'm using it myself.

I don't agree that KDE 4 is very different from KDE 3 on the surface.[1]  I
have a virtually identical setup under KDE 4.2 as I had under KDE 3.5.  I am
still missing a few things because KDE 4.2 is still not as complete as KDE
3.5.10.

Moving from KDE 3.5.10 to whatever KDE 4 is "shipped" with Squeeze should be
relatively painless.  There may even be a kdesktop+superkaramba+kicker ->
plasma converter (either as part of kaboom, or just part of KDE).
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))

[1] Underneath, KDE 4 is cleaner, leaner, and more modular and powerful.