KDE4.2 awesome, but slow and unstable: temporary or permanent?

David david.maillists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 01:38:25 BST 2009

Hello,

First of all, I must say that I am impressed with the features and the look
of KDE4. This is just wonderful. Good work! But...:

Well, I do not know whether people that told that version 4.2 was acceptably
stable were too optimistic. I installed KDE 4.2 in Debian unstable in a Core
2 Duo box, and it is more or less acceptable. It is worth pointing that the
desktop effects are not enabled (yet) until I can compile the nvidia
proprietary driver.

I also tried to install in a Dual Core box, two years old, but the Debian
(i386) version malfunctioned: issues with mysql that left kde4 unconfigured,
the desktop and panel did not start after log in, etc. Then I tried to
install xfce but Debian sid had broken dependences at that moment, so I just
installed Arch (i686). Now KDE works, more or less... I have two complaints:

1) Everything very slow, even scrolling up and down a window. I do not know
if it may be because I had the deskop effects activated and the card is an
Intel 945, but KDE 3.5 with translucencies was pretty quick. I do not know
if the display is to blame or the problem is elsewhere, but everything is
slow, and my computer is not so old...

2) Unstable: not excesively, but in just one day I have experienced KDE
exiting into KDM, and in another occasion the KDE start froze while in
progress and locked the X server (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace not working).

These two points (slow and unstable), are they just temporary and they will
go in future versions or, will we have to live with one or both of them
forever? Please do not consider this as trolling: I write it here because I
know there are some developers in this list. Or maybe I should ask in a
developer list?

Please kindly Cc to me if replying. Thank you,

David