KDE4.2 awesome, but slow and unstable: temporary or permanent?

Andrew Mason slackmase2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 01:52:49 BST 2009

Hi there David,
The good news is that most the experience you have is probably not KDE
related. The bad news is that the KDE team can't really fix those
particular issues.

The intel slowness is (even without composite ) is a well known issue.
Unfortunately the problem lies somewhere in the intel driver / drm
stack. Ubuntu has this issue also. Fedora 11 is fine as far as I'm
aware, so I'm not sure what they are doing differently but they seem
to have something worked out.

The KDM login issues are also something I experienced on fedora coming
back from hibernation. I'm not sure when you have experienced it but I
believe this has something to do with the resume function. If this is
not the case for you then if you can reproduce the error it might be
worth adding a bug to bugs.kde.org.

I have a few KDE boxes, all running the same codebase, unfortunately
only 2 of them are running correctly and this is almost entirely due
to the Xorg stack. X is getting better, its just in a state of flux at
the moment and unfortunately because of the "no hacks" approach taken
in KDE 4 it is going to be a while before the Xorg team are able to
catch up to KDE. It will happen though, it will just take time and it
will be better in the long run.