[Fwd: Re: KDE 4.2.1 Apps Toolbar (Text frayed-out)]

Rajko M. rmatov101 at charter.net
Mon Apr 6 14:05:51 BST 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009 03:45:10 am James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> IIUC, you have tried TrueType fonts (e.g. Arial) and you had the same
> result.  Nobody can reproduce your problem so the best that we can do is
> guess.  The one thing that I might suggest is to try to determine if the
> problem is that the fonts are too large by comparing them to the same
> font in the same size in an editor.
>
> I would also try this.  Open a Konsole and execute:
>
> 	xrandr --dpi 100
>
> and then open the application that you had a problem with (it won't
> affect applications already opened) and see if it makes any difference.

Hi James,

I have forgotten to answer to Jay before, as I promissed in my email
commenting on his style (crossposting, summarizing emails from 2 ML and
posting answer to one, answering posts from one ML on the other, etc - in
short: lack of experience).

The problem is mix of style elements that obviously doesn't work together.
This is from his post to opensuse-kde at opensuse.org ML:

***********************
Currently, I am using:
Style = QtCurve
Icons = Mist
Window Decoration = Redmond
Gtk Styles & Fonts:
Gtk Style = Qt Curve
Gtk Fonts = (Use another font - Adobe Helvetica 8)
***********************

I could not find icons called Mist, so I could not recreate his setup.
With all other elements set as in the list, there is no problems with text
under icons.

I can't check in the source code in what order window elements are printed on
the screen, but from his problems I guess that text is first, then icons, so
they cover top portion of the text. I suspect as a possible problem that
icons don't have transparent background, but without set he is using I can't
check is it a case.

--
Regards, Rajko