Xmessages being duplicated on next bootup, and logging in

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 22 17:51:24 GMT 2008

Nigel Henry wrote:
> I have 2 scripts in ~/.kde/autostart. 1 is to put an xmessage up on the
> desktop, which shows which distro is running. The other shows when the distro
> was last updated.
>
> If I don't close these xmessages, the next time I reboot, and login, I end up
> with 2 instances of both these xmessages, seemingly because the scripts are
> run again when logging in.

showing scripts would be of help.

from 'man xmessage';
+++
 The program is typically used by shell scripts to  display  information
 to the user or to ask the user to make a choice.
+++

would cause me to believe that it is waiting for you to do something. like
close it out. and where regular scripts to a file placed in desktop directory
may work better.

no seemingly about it.

> I'm quite happy for the KDE session to be saved, as there may be apps open,
> that I still want to be open when I next login, but is there something I can
> add to these scripts that run the xmessages, so that if they are already
> detected as being on the desktop when logging in, these scripts will not be
> run again.

if you do not want message there unless there is a change, which you should
know about, you could use a temporary file for output, do a  -f, echo to a
second file and compare them, if not cp -f newer to desktop.

terse, but something to give you something to think about.

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****