Xmessages being duplicated on next bootup, and logging in

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Nov 22 22:31:43 GMT 2008

On Saturday 22 November 2008 18:51, g wrote:

> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I have 2 scripts in ~/.kde/autostart. 1 is to put an xmessage up on the
> > desktop, which shows which distro is running. The other shows when the
> > distro was last updated.
> >
> > If I don't close these xmessages, the next time I reboot, and login, I
> > end up with 2 instances of both these xmessages, seemingly because the
> > scripts are run again when logging in.
>
> showing scripts would be of help.

Well the one showing the distro curentlly booted up is as below, and only one
line.
xmessage "Kubuntu-Gutsy-Gibbon-7.10"

The other displays an xmessage for the last time the distro was updated, as
below.
lastupd=`ls /home/djmons/History-files | sort -n | tail -1`
xmessage "Last update was $lastupd"

I suppose it's easy to just close the xmessages before logging out, which
prevents them being duplicated when next logging in.

I'm quite happy to save the session with KDE, but it would be nice to find a
way to not save the stuff in ~/.kde/Autostart, so as to avoid duplicated
xmessages.

This isn't a big problem, and I'm happy to work with the way it is at the
moment.

Nigel.