mixing "built from SVN" and distribution binaries

Fri Nov 21 04:39:24 GMT 2008

I have trouble when logged into a kde session that is built from SVN. I only
build kdebase kdepim and kdevelop from SVN (along with the libs) but i would
like to continue to use binaries distributed by the kubuntu folks (kde 4.1.3)

When i use this mix, i have a very unstable system. kopete does not find
plugins etc. For this to work, on a command line i need to do:

export KDEDIRS=/usr/bin
kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

Then launching kopete works fine but then plasma from my svn build in the home
directory does wierd things and crashes. So my question now is how can i let
them coexist? Can i not have different kbuildsycoca databases for my compiled
from sources and distribution binaries? I believe the database version used
varies between the two.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am only hoping to compile the stuff that
matter to me and leave the rest to the distribution.
--
Cheers!
Kishore