Create KDE keymap

Rufus Dee rufusd at gmx.net
Thu Nov 20 22:22:02 GMT 2008

Hi there!
I'm trying to adapt the Russian keymap, variant phonetic (I have to swap a couple of keys to adapt to the user's finger memory). However, I don't even know where to start from. I know I can create keymaps via xmodmap, but I need to be able to easily change between this phonetic russian keymap and a latin one (by e.g. klicking the little flag icon in my system tray). Does anybody know where to start to create my own customized keymap?

This is KDE 4.1.3 from debian experimental on a sid install.

Best wishes,
Rufus