Disabling hibernation or sleep mode

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 9 13:50:50 GMT 2008

On Sunday 09 November 2008 13:34:07 Orthaide wrote:
> Hello Anne,
>
> > Darryl, please don't top-post - it makes difficulties for reading
> > archives.
> >
> > Have you checked your BIOS settings?  Power management is a combination
> > of what's there and your power-management tools as supplied by your
> > distribution.
> >
> > You mentioned that you had upgraded to KDE4 - but you didn't say which
> > distribution this is.  It might help if we knew that.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Sorry about the top post.
>
> Did not check my BIOS, mainly because I never had this issue before.

If you don't check, you'll never know whether that is a factor.

> Even when I was running WinXP (which was the software my desktop came
> with) I was always able to turn off hibernation via the System Settings,
> etc... I'd really hate to mess with my BIOS if I don't have to.

There are many settings in BIOS that you shouldn't touch unless you know
exactly what you are doing, but checking your power settings (or any other
settings for that matter) is harmless.  Changing your power settings will do
no harm either.  If only for energy consumption reasons you really should know
what the settings are.  If you are not sure what they mean I'm sure you'll
find good explanations on the net, or you could even ask here :-)

Anne