Disabling hibernation or sleep mode

Orthaide Orthaide at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 13:29:22 GMT 2008

Kishore wrote:
> This is somewhat distribution dependent as each distribution seems to have
> their own specific power management tools. You should be more explicit about
> the distribution you use and the power management software you use if
> possible.
>
> As I am aware, there are atleast three options now. guidance-power (default in
> kubuntu), kpowersave (default in opensuse?) and powerdevil (the new kde
> default). There could be more but this is just FYI.

Hi Kishore

Yep, upgraded to Kubuntu 8.1, which gave me KDE 4.1 as my default desktop.

As mentioned in my last note to g, I think it's guidance-power. Also, I
thought that I could just turn it off by going into System Settings -->
Display --> Power Control, and disabling it. I tried this last night,
left my desktop on, went to bed, woke up this morning, and it was still
asleep.

Take note, I did this, and didn't reboot. I'll try it again, rebooting
this time. Not sure if that matters.

Any help you folks can give is highly appreciative. And even though I
would like to use the power save/hibernation mode occasionally, I
definitely need to know how to turn it off when I need to.

Never had this problem with the plain KDE, which as I said, I was using
for a little over a year.

Thanks again,

Darryl