KDE 4 review

ziklag ziklag at inbox.com
Mon Jun 16 01:25:52 BST 2008

On Sunday 15 June 2008, Rick Miles wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 09:35:45 pm ziklag wrote:
> > "You are KDE".   If your interactions are the demonstration of this, then
> > you have all proven my point.   Datan, Anne, etc. have proven themselves
> > to be unable to provide assistance.  Rather they quickly condescend to
> > name calling.   Even the Microsoft support techs don't do that.
> > It looks like the arrogant and blind, leading the evenmore arrogant
> > and more blind. The Linux/KDE Emperor has no clothes, but no one can
> > see it.  Quod erat demonstratum.
>
> No one is KDE. And you seem to have missed a few basics on asking questions
> on lists. and fail to understand that people on this list have a common
> interest in KDE, not abusive behaviour.

It's called Self-selection: "WE like KDE.  What? You have problems with KDE?
Shush.  We don't talk about things like that around here.  You know, why don't
go take a long hike of a short cliff."

	 And then one wonders why Linux/KDE market share isn't bigger?   Folks,
this isn't brain-surgery; it's engineering/marketing 101.  Maybe FC9 had a lot
of bugs because you chased off Alpha and Beta Testers? Maybe, just maybe,
KDE v4 would be a killer app if the developers started to listen to ALL
potential users instead of  just the yes-men?

	I'm very truly sorry for you if this doesn't seem logical to you all.
Truly, I am.  Because people who miss out on logic are missing out on
some the essentials of life (and death).

	Well, I've searched the Internet now, and I have found that there a lot of
voices out there saying that KDE v4 is really bad.  In fact, some of them are
using stronger language than I used (that's how I found it on google: 'KDE4
!#$^^').    Of course, we don't see these other voices here (see above on
self-selection.)

> If you want a rock solid KDE experience than choose a distro noted for
> placing a priority on stability, not bleeding edge. May I suggest someting
> like Slackware? Slackware has a very helpful and courteous help list at
> linuxquestions,org. However.folks on that list wouldn't tolerate such
> behaviour either.

My computer is an AMD-64.   I don't think that it's expecting too much to
have support for very common CPUs (AMD-64 has been out for some time
now.  Intel64 has been out for some time too.)  As far as I can tell, only
Fedora supports 64 bit operation on the AMD CPUs.   Again, what's it going
to be: "Linux rocks Microsoft" or "Err, well, Linux just can't do that yet."?

I know, you think that I'm talking about non-KDE issues, right?  But UI
is an integral component.   It's called curb appeal; you put fresh paint
on a house that you want to sell.   Selling people a "money pit" doesn't
go over well.

> If your just after eye candy and paid support techs who get paid to take
> abuse from folks like you, go install Vista.

Umm.  I was the one who said that I was NOT in favor of eye-candy.  If
you read my original post, you shall see that I was upset exactly because it
looked like KDE4 had ditched stable/usable KDE3 for Vista-esque eye-candy.

But, of course, you didn't read my letter, you're just piling on.  You think
it fun to abuse people; that's your self-selection brutality at work.  It's
called crowd dynamics.  It's called "mind-control".   Yep, that's the word
for it, you're KDE thought-police.  And I thought that FOSS was about
Freedom as in Liberty.   Alas, there's a thing called mental
compartimentalization, you're ability to practice freedom is limited by
your limited concept of freedom ( freedom in area A, but not in areas
B,C,D, etc. when I don't like it.  That's why I said it was arrogant.)

Boy, what a waste of time writing to you guys has been.   Well, it does
remind me that there are a lot of lost people out there.

> The door works both ways if you don't like the party. I never could figure
> out people who complain about the food but keep on shoveling it into their
> mouth just because its free.

Narrow is the ONE door, wide is the path that leads to destruction.