Restoring functionality to KDE4

Thu Jul 3 11:00:40 BST 2008

On Thursday 03 Jul 2008 2:14:21 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > $kquitapp plasma
> > $rm ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma*
> > $plasma
>
> I've not come across kquiitapp before.

kquitapp is a helper application is kde4 that sends dbus commands to the
application requesting it to quit. I am not sure in what way it is better than
kill but it does seem to be the kde4 way to quit.

> I'm putting together some end-user
> help docs, so if you could point me to a reference page I'd be grateful.

maybe look at http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Plasma/FAQ and
http://software-libre.rudd-o.com/KDE_4.0.0_emergency_FAQ. The commands i
listed are also mentioned in the former link.

> I thought for a moment that plasma hadn't started, but it's just that, as
> for the last week or two, the panel does not show up until I change the
> size. It's most odd, as I don't need to do anything else.

That is odd indeed. I have never experienced that before. Just curious.. how
do you change the size when the panel is not visible? I only know one method
to access the panel configuration and that is through the panel context menu.

> The panel now shows everything I would expect, but in a strange order.  All
> the system icons are at the left and the running programs are to the right
> of the clock.
>
> That's no big deal, but it is odd.

You sure that is not the defaults as set by the distribution or maybe even
upstream? IIRC there was a time in kde trunk recently when the order of
default applets in the panel was changed. The clock was no longer at the right
end and some other things like that. It made me a little uncomfortable as i
would want all "always present" stuff to _always_ be at the same place so i
dont have to take that moment to spot it. Anyway, its now back to the old way.
--
Cheers!
Kishore