Restoring functionality to KDE4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 3 09:44:21 BST 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008 09:14:04 Kishore wrote:
> On Thursday 03 Jul 2008 12:04:59 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Which version of kde are you at? 4.1 beta? only the 4.1 series has the
> > > option to horizontally resize the panel. If this is 4.0 then something
> > > is really screwed and dumping config files is perhaps the best option.
> >
> > 4.0.5, I think.  I need some detail, Kishore.  I tried to dump the config
> > files but found them recreated exactly the same, so I think I missed a
> > step.
> >
> > First - what must I do to ensure that plasma is stopped?  Then, am I
> > looking for any more config files than the two in ~/.kde4/share/config ?
>
> Ooops! Sorry Anne. Given that you help so many of us, I assumed you would
> know that part ;-) The steps are as below:
>
> $kquitapp plasma
> $rm ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma*
> $plasma

I've not come across kquiitapp before.  Hmm - I wonder how many other
kde-specific commands I should know?  I'm putting together some end-user help
docs, so if you could point me to a reference page I'd be grateful.

> Better give a couple of seconds between the three steps. After step 1, the
> desktop, panel etc should all disappear. once plasma has quit, it is safe
> to delete the files. Launching plasma in the third step should bring back
> the desktop to it's default state.

Looks as though I'm in trouble:

<unknown program name>(27998)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual
0x8058580 71303169
<unknown program name>(27998)/ checkComposite: Plasma can use COMPOSITE for
effects on 0x8057ea0

I thought for a moment that plasma hadn't started, but it's just that, as for
the last week or two, the panel does not show up until I change the size.
It's most odd, as I don't need to do anything else.

The panel now shows everything I would expect, but in a strange order.  All
the system icons are at the left and the running programs are to the right of
the clock.

That's no big deal, but it is odd.

Anne