Restoring functionality to KDE4

Thu Jul 3 09:14:04 BST 2008

On Thursday 03 Jul 2008 12:04:59 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Which version of kde are you at? 4.1 beta? only the 4.1 series has the
> > option to horizontally resize the panel. If this is 4.0 then something is
> > really screwed and dumping config files is perhaps the best option.
>
> 4.0.5, I think.  I need some detail, Kishore.  I tried to dump the config
> files but found them recreated exactly the same, so I think I missed a
> step.
>
> First - what must I do to ensure that plasma is stopped?  Then, am I
> looking for any more config files than the two in ~/.kde4/share/config ?

Ooops! Sorry Anne. Given that you help so many of us, I assumed you would know
that part ;-) The steps are as below:

$kquitapp plasma
$rm ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma*
$plasma

Better give a couple of seconds between the three steps. After step 1, the
desktop, panel etc should all disappear. once plasma has quit, it is safe to
delete the files. Launching plasma in the third step should bring back the
desktop to it's default state.
--
Cheers!
Kishore