Restoring functionality to KDE4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 3 07:34:59 BST 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008 05:38:40 Kishore wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 Jul 2008 4:00:55 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > OTOH if you are only missing a taskbar and want to restore it, you can
> > > do so by dragging the taskbar widget from the "add widgets" dialog,
> > > directly into the panel where you want it.
> >
> > I discovered the taskbar this morning, and have it on the desktop now,
> > which could prove a life-saver for the moment.  Putting it on the panel
> > is not an option, as, with everything scrunched to the left, it gets put
> > into the user-space part of the panel which is hidden.
>
> Which version of kde are you at? 4.1 beta? only the 4.1 series has the
> option to horizontally resize the panel. If this is 4.0 then something is
> really screwed and dumping config files is perhaps the best option.

4.0.5, I think.  I need some detail, Kishore.  I tried to dump the config
files but found them recreated exactly the same, so I think I missed a step.

First - what must I do to ensure that plasma is stopped?  Then, am I looking
for any more config files than the two in ~/.kde4/share/config ?

> > Now I have the desktop taskbar I can manage until I have time to play
> > with this.
>
> Well! A taskbar on the desktop, behind all other windows, does not really
> make much sense. Does it!? ;-)

Not much, but definitely better than nothing.  Until I get this sorted I can
use windows that don't cover it, but it's definitely a temporary workaround.

Anne