Restoring functionality to KDE4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 2 11:30:55 BST 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 11:15:16 Kishore wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 Jul 2008 3:22:21 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > At the moment KDE4 (Mandriva) is unusable on this laptop because I seem
> > to have broken some essentials - not sure how.  The panel now has
> > everything shifted to the left, and I have no entries there for open
> > apps.  At the same time, I can't cycle through the windows any more with
> > an alt-tab.  I'm sure I've seen mention, at least for the panel problem,
> > of a cure which involved reinstalling a plasmoid, but I can't find the
> > reference.
> >
> > I'm beginning to wonder whether I can cure these problems or whether I
> > just have to use KDE 3 on this laptop. That would be a great pity, as my
> > old, slow laptop has KDE4 without these problems.
>
> The easiest way to recover if you do not want your "modifications" would be
> to exit plasma, dump the plasma config files and relaunch plasma.

I may have to do it that way.

> OTOH if you are only missing a taskbar and want to restore it, you can do
> so by dragging the taskbar widget from the "add widgets" dialog, directly
> into the panel where you want it.

I discovered the taskbar this morning, and have it on the desktop now, which
could prove a life-saver for the moment.  Putting it on the panel is not an
option, as, with everything scrunched to the left, it gets put into the
user-space part of the panel which is hidden.

Now I have the desktop taskbar I can manage until I have time to play with
this.

Anne