Cannot add Brother printer

Bill Wells hammer29 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 30 02:38:23 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 13:23:35 John wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 January 2008 17:17, Jonathan Doe wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 January 2008 09:37:55 am John wrote:
> > > If the driver installation manages to get the right things in the right
> > > places you may find that you can do the final enabling part via the
> > > cups web interface. You may also find that the cups password isn't the
> > > same as root.
> >
> > It would appear that the default config for cups is to use the root
> > login. Does suse have a different user or something that they want you to
> > use to configure cups?
> >
> > http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/overview.html
>
> There was a cups version update some time ago. The net effect was that I
> could no longer log into cups as root. I don't think the problem was down
> to suse. From memory the problem was down to a unilateral decision by cups
> that the admin password must contain a number. Having run other os networks
> where people try to spot passwords I do not like using numbers - much to
> easy to spot a mix of upper and lowercase is far more secure mixed with
> lower keyboard punctuation etc if one is paranoid or all numbers of the
> numeric keypad.

I have a Slackware 12.0 box and have a perhaps related CUPS problem.

There was a Security Vunerability in CUPs ref:

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-4351

which was patched (in Slackware 12.0 with:

Here are the details from the Slackware 12.0 ChangeLog:
+--------------------------+
patches/packages/cups-1.2.11-i486-2_slack12.0.tgz:
 Patched cups-1.2.11.
  An off-by-one error in ipp.c may allow a remote attacker to crash CUPS
  resulting in a denial of service.
  For more information, see:
    http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-4351
  (* Security fix *)

which broke my CUPS  when I applied the patch.

I am still trying to get back to the working configuration that I had before I
installed the patch.  I have removed CUPS, reinstalled the unmodified CUPS
and still have a problem getting a HP Laserjet 4L on line.  It's not like a
new printer looking for a yet to be released Linux driver.  However, I have
yet to unfurl/unshroud/disinter the required incantation to cause it to print

large snip