KDE3 KDE4 mix

Bob Stia rnr at sanctum.com
Tue Jan 29 05:08:00 GMT 2008

Hello KDE people,

Running SuSE 10.3 64 bit. KDE3.5.7 The other night I did the install of KDE4
to see what it was like (Pretty,,, but has a loooong way to go for usability)

Anyway, on to the KDE3 KDE4 mix strangeness...

I do use the command line quite a bit but I prefer the GUI so that my old
brain can keep track of things. Whenever I need to do something as root I
fire up kdesu konqueror, log on as root, make my changes, whatever and close
it down.

I did that earlier this evening and what to my surprise is that I got a KDE4
Konqueror.    ?????  Strange !!  To satisfy my curiousity I fired up several
other apps using kdesu - kwite, gwenview, etc.  They ALL started as KDE4
apps. So then I logged out of my user session logged on as root and checked
the apps inside the root session. They all showed up as KDE3.5.7 Logged off
as root, logged back in my user session and retried my kdesu commands again.
All KDE4 apps !!! They all worked OK except with the limitations of the KDE4
desktop Hope that's not going to be a problem down the road.

Looks like a strange bug to me.

Anybody else see this strange behavior?

Bob S