OK -I'm trying

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 25 11:01:30 GMT 2008

On Thursday 25 December 2008 00:05:25 Bob Stia wrote:
> Hello KDE list
>
> Wellll....I'm trying. I want to be a believer in KDE4, so I downloaded 11.1
> with KDE4.1 to try it out as a test bed. ( I tried previously with 11.0 and
> KDE4.0 and I hated it. So I just didn't touch it until 4.1 came along) I
> must say it is an improvement and can do many more things than in 4.0.
> Hopefully it will continue to improve.
>
> Now....I have a few questions here after spending hours playing with it.
> Hopefully some of the newly endowed KDE4 gurus can set me straight.

Hi, Bob.  I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer some.

> 1 How does one get an application on the task bar? eg: Kmail. Konsole,
> Gimp, Kwrite, etc.?

Find it in the menu - type the name into the search bar, if it's not obvious -
then right-click it.  You will be given the option of putting an icon onto the
desktop or onto the panel.

> 2. How does one get different wallpaper on the other desktops? (This was
> one of my must have's in KDE3. Always knew where I was)

As far as I know this is not yet implemented.  However, if you set up
Activities they can have different wallpapers.  (The snag is that I haven't
played with these recently, so I don't know how useful they are at this
moment.  Last time I tried I could set one up, but couldn't do much with it.
That's a good while since, though, so they may be 'good to go', particularly
if you have 4.2 or a beta of it.)

> 3. How does one change the icons for different functions? (Presently both
> the screensaver and log out functions are using the Dolphin icon)

Do you mean in the menu?  If so, does OpenSUSE give you a menu editor?  That's
the place to change the icon, if it does.  Click on the old icon and you
should see what's available to you.

> 4. How does one invoke system sound for certain events, like changing to a
> different desktop or the closing of an app?

I'll have to try to find out this for you - I would have expected it to be
systemsettings > Advanced tab > KDE Resources, which is the equivalent of the
KDE3 place, but the only things I'm seeing there are controls for kontact
applications.

> The following are probably not KDE4 centric but I thought I would mention
> them in case someone has an idea/thought/solution:
>
> 1. I can only print in black & white. Don't know why. Used to be able to
> specify those options in the printer dialogue and they no longer appear.

I think that the new print dialogues tend to take more settings from CUPS - at
least that seems to be my experience.  I'd guess that something there is not
quite right.  You don't seem to be able to overrule  CUPS settings, and I
think you could in the past.

> 2.Yast has tiny tiny fonts. (I am visually impaired) I was able to increase
> font size in KDE and GTK to my satisfaction, but there is nothing for QT.

Not sure about that.  Have you increased the size of fonts in systemsettings >
Appearance tab > Fonts?  If you've tried all that it may be an OpenSUSE-
specific thing, since yast is their tool.

> 3. Repos in Yast. I have the very basic ones. Used to be able to download a
> list and choose the ones you wanted. No can do anymore. Need to find them
> and enter them manually?

Sorry, you'll have to ask an openSUSE list (or IRC channel) about that.

> 4. And this last is probably a bug but would like someone else to verify
> it. Under Accessibility > Fonts > Sticky keys. If that is enabled it is
> impossible to type anything into an app on the screen. Just doesn't appear.
>  eg: Konsole, Kwrite, any app which requires text input.

No idea, sorry.

> Now, I really don't expect any kind of replies for several days. After all
> it is Christmas!!
>
> Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night !

Merry Christmas to you Bob (I'm just having coffee, so had a few moments to
spare :-) ).  Enjoy your playing with KDE4, and don't forget that
http://userbase.kde.org has a lot of helpful information.  I'd particularly
recommend the Plasma page (http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/4.2) which will
answer a lot of questions, and http://userbase.kde.org/Glossary to help you
get up to speed on the new vocabulary.