OK -I'm trying

Thu Dec 25 11:26:41 GMT 2008

On Thursday 25 Dec 2008 4:31:30 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 25 December 2008 00:05:25 Bob Stia wrote:
> > 1 How does one get an application on the task bar? eg: Kmail. Konsole,
> > Gimp, Kwrite, etc.?
>
> Find it in the menu - type the name into the search bar, if it's not
> obvious - then right-click it.  You will be given the option of putting an
> icon onto the desktop or onto the panel.

You should also be able to drag the icon the location of your choice on the
panel.

> > 4. How does one invoke system sound for certain events, like changing to
> > a different desktop or the closing of an app?
>
> I'll have to try to find out this for you - I would have expected it to be
> systemsettings > Advanced tab > KDE Resources, which is the equivalent of
> the KDE3 place, but the only things I'm seeing there are controls for
> kontact applications.

system settings->look and feel-> notifications. event source: "kde window
manager" and there you should able to edit the notifications you mention.

> > 2.Yast has tiny tiny fonts. (I am visually impaired) I was able to
> > increase font size in KDE and GTK to my satisfaction, but there is
> > nothing for QT.
>
> Not sure about that.  Have you increased the size of fonts in
> systemsettings > Appearance tab > Fonts?  If you've tried all that it may
> be an OpenSUSE- specific thing, since yast is their tool.

As Nikos mentions, this is most likely because yast is run as root and it uses
the settings set for root user. You could run systemsettings as
root and adjust fonts in there which should hopefully adjust the fonts as
displayed in yast.
--
Cheers!
Kishore