OK -I'm trying

Bob Stia rnr at sanctum.com
Thu Dec 25 00:05:25 GMT 2008

Hello KDE list

Wellll....I'm trying. I want to be a believer in KDE4, so I downloaded 11.1 with KDE4.1 to try it out as a test bed. ( I tried previously with 11.0 and KDE4.0 and I hated it. So I just didn't touch it until 4.1 came along) I must say it is an improvement and can do many more things than in 4.0. Hopefully it will continue to improve.

Now....I have a few questions here after spending hours playing with it. Hopefully some of the newly endowed KDE4 gurus can set me straight.

1 How does one get an application on the task bar? eg: Kmail. Konsole, Gimp, Kwrite, etc.?

2. How does one get different wallpaper on the other desktops? (This was one of my must have's in KDE3. Always knew where I was)

3. How does one change the icons for different functions? (Presently both the screensaver and log out functions are using the Dolphin icon)

4. How does one invoke system sound for certain events, like changing to a different desktop or the closing of an app?

The following are probably not KDE4 centric but I thought I would mention them in case someone has an idea/thought/solution:

1. I can only print in black & white. Don't know why. Used to be able to specify those options in the printer dialogue and they no longer appear.

2.Yast has tiny tiny fonts. (I am visually impaired) I was able to increase font size in KDE and GTK to my satisfaction, but there is nothing for QT.

3. Repos in Yast. I have the very basic ones. Used to be able to download a list and choose the ones you wanted. No can do anymore. Need to find them and enter them manually?

4. And this last is probably a bug but would like someone else to verify it. Under Accessibility > Fonts > Sticky keys. If that is enabled it is impossible to type anything into an app on the screen. Just doesn't appear.  eg: Konsole, Kwrite, any app which requires text input.

Now, I really don't expect any kind of replies for several days. After all it is Christmas!!

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night !

Bob S