KDE's Desktop peripheral icons

Nicolas Ouellette nicolas.ouellette at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 7 17:21:44 BST 2008

Hi there,

 I'm new to this list, and I'm not where where to send this mail, cos' I don't
know if my problem is distro specific or not, so don't be too harsh on
me... :)

I use KDE 3.5.9 on Kubuntu 8.04 for AMD64.

 When I plug a USB device in my computer, wether a digital camera, a usb
pendrive, or PDA, the icons all appear on my desktop as generic usbpendrives.
(see screenshot : actual_kde_media_icons.png). Now, I would like to change
these icons to reflect what's plugged in, i.e.: a digital camera icon for my
digital camera, an ipod icon for my mp3 player, a usb key icon for my usb
key, and a memory card icon for my PDA's memory card (screenshot:
wished_kde_media_icons.png). Simple, no? As you see, only the digital camera
icon is changed to the "wished" one. I would like to do the same for all USB
icons.

I know that in GNOME, it's possible to simply change the icons directly from
the desktop (I did it yesterday...), as shown in the screenshot
gnome_media_icons.png.

In KDE, it doesn't seem to be so simple. Right clicking on a Desktop icon and
changing its icon will not work, nor while navigating in media:/.

Anyone has a clue on this?

Best regards,
--
Nicolas Ouellette