Missing apps on KDE main menu (Gutsy Gibbon)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Apr 7 15:58:55 BST 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008 06:28, kitts wrote:

> > > if you have the corresponding .desktop file inside
> > > /usr/share/applications/kde and yet it does not show up in the menu,
> > > edit the corresponding .desktop file and ensure that the line
> > > "NoDisplay=true" is not set or is set to "false".
> >
> > Where exactly should I
> >  find the file that has the line "NoDisplay=true"?
>
> Sorry i assumed you already found your way to the
> file /usr/share/applications/kde/konquerorsu.desktop

Yes I had, and having used various Linux distros with KDE since mid 2003, had
no idea that these .desktop files were editable. I thought they were just
launchers for the various apps. Doh.

> As you can see, the folder above would contain many files but entries for
> them do not show up in the kmenu. This is because the file does not want to
> be found. If you want to change this you can edit the corresponding
> .desktop file (konquerorsu.desktop in your case) and edit it with any text
> editor like kate (yes, .desktop files are plan text files). In these files
> you would find a line like "NoDisplay=true". Delete this line and this new
> entry should appear in the menu.

Yes fixed now. Always learning new stuff, and sometimes forgetting to write
the fixes down in my notebook, as per your telling me to use kdesu in the
command for the sufilemanager, which I'm sure someone in the past had already
told me.

Many thanks.

Nigel.