KDE's Desktop peripheral icons

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 8 10:13:58 BST 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008 17:21:44 Nicolas Ouellette wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>  I'm new to this list, and I'm not where where to send this mail, cos' I
> don't know if my problem is distro specific or not, so don't be too harsh
> on me... :)
>
> I use KDE 3.5.9 on Kubuntu 8.04 for AMD64.
>
>  When I plug a USB device in my computer, wether a digital camera, a usb
> pendrive, or PDA, the icons all appear on my desktop as generic
> usbpendrives. (see screenshot : actual_kde_media_icons.png). Now, I would
> like to change these icons to reflect what's plugged in, i.e.: a digital
> camera icon for my digital camera, an ipod icon for my mp3 player, a usb
> key icon for my usb key, and a memory card icon for my PDA's memory card
> (screenshot:
> wished_kde_media_icons.png). Simple, no? As you see, only the digital
> camera icon is changed to the "wished" one. I would like to do the same for
> all USB icons.
>
> I know that in GNOME, it's possible to simply change the icons directly
> from the desktop (I did it yesterday...), as shown in the screenshot
> gnome_media_icons.png.
>
> In KDE, it doesn't seem to be so simple. Right clicking on a Desktop icon
> and changing its icon will not work, nor while navigating in media:/.

From the manual -

Below these options you can see a list titled Show Icon Previews For. The KDE
desktop has a preview feature for many file types, including HTML files,
images, PostScript® and PDF, sound, web archives (if you have the appropriate
Konqueror plugin installed) and text files.
if you enable previews for one of these, files of that particular file type
will not be represented by standard icons on the desktop, but will instead be
shown as miniature previews. On slow computers, the previews can take some
time to show up, so you might not want to enable this feature.
Finally there is Display device icons:.
On some operating systems (Linux® and FreeBSD, so far) KDE can dynamically
display icons for each mountable device you have available. This could be
CD-ROM drives, floppy disk drives, or network shares.
If you enable this, you can choose what kind, if any, of these devices you
would like quick access icons to be displayed for.

To me, that suggests that it may not be possible to do what you want.  I
suspect, though, that the real problem is the way the devices communicate
their info.  Obviously gnome is reading it, so it is there, but it must be in
a form inaccessible to kde.  I say this because I have some pen drives that
do at least give the name of the device, but some appear as a pen-drive of
that name, and some as a camera of the correct name.

Guesswork, but it may give you some ideas to work on.

Anne