Konsole unable to start xapps as root in Archlinux

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Oct 20 13:23:44 BST 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007, Ryo Furue wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> | Hi Ryo. I'm really trying to find what the Archlinux guys have done
> | so that KDE's Konsole cannot open Xapps when su'ed to root.
> |
> | I've no problem on my Fedora, and Debian installs. I can su to root on
> | Konsole, and open kwrite, kate, gedit, synaptic, and you name it.
>
> That's interesting.  (Sorry I didn't read your previous messages
> carefully and didn't realize that that was what you are really trying
> to solve.)
>
> It's interesting, because I'm using the testing distribution of
> Debian, and I can NOT su to root and open kwrite, kate, or and GUI
> program, without the xauth trick I mentioned.
>
> So, I'm really curious why you can do that on your Fedora
> and YOUR Debian.

Yes, same here. The behavior Nigel sees on Archlinux is quite certainly the
default behavior of X.

I would rather assume that Fedora and "Nigel's Debian" :) did something
additional.

It is also not related to Konsole, any shell either in a terminal window or on
one of Linux's virtual consoles will do.
The only difference is that in a terminal window like Konsole, a simple su
will usually keep the environment of the shell, in this case the DISPLAY
variable "pointing" to the X session the terminal window is hosted in.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring