Problem running kcontrol from menu

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 12 20:03:53 GMT 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007, Ryan Daly wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 09:37 -0500, Ryan Daly wrote:
> > > I am afraid I am out of ideas, especially since it also happens with a
> > > new user account.
>
> I did a bit more digging and found something.  I started to look into
> the Categories in the various .desktop files that come with KDE.
>
> It appears that the default Categories line in KControl.desktop...
>
> Categories=Qt;KDE;Core;
>
> ...is causing a problem.  If I remove "Core;" so the line looks like...
>
> Categories=Qt;KDE;
>
> ...the Control Center starts with no problem.  And, I see:

Weird, my KControl.desktop files does have this third category but they still
work.

According to the spec [1] "Core" is one of the registered Categories.

Can you check if it makes a difference when you reorder the three list items?
(e.g. Qt;Core;KDE)

Do any of the .desktop files installed in /usr/share/applications
contain "Core" or "Settings"?

> You'll probably know the answer to this or at least where to find it,
> but is it possible that KDe doesn't recognize "Core" and "Settings" as
> menu categories?  Is it possible that's what the root of the problem is?

No, that shouldn't be the cause.
The KControl.desktop file from our repository [2] contains the "Core" part and
I am pretty sure this would have been removed if it weren't supported.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html
[2] http://tinyurl.com/3689fg