Problem running kcontrol from menu

Ryan Daly daly at ctcnet.net
Mon Nov 12 17:25:05 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 09:37 -0500, Ryan Daly wrote:
> > I am afraid I am out of ideas, especially since it also happens with a new
> > user account.

I did a bit more digging and found something.  I started to look into
the Categories in the various .desktop files that come with KDE.

It appears that the default Categories line in KControl.desktop...

Categories=Qt;KDE;Core;

...is causing a problem.  If I remove "Core;" so the line looks like...

Categories=Qt;KDE;

...the Control Center starts with no problem.  And, I see:

daly at riddler <24#> ktradertest Application '' "DesktopEntryName=='kcontrol'"
query is : Application
genericServiceType is :
constraint is : DesktopEntryName=='kcontrol'
preference is :
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-daly/ksycoca
kio (KTrader): query for Application : returning 1 offers
got 1 offers.
---- Offer 0 ----
DocPath : 'kcontrol/index.html'
kio (KService*): Request for unknown property 'UntranslatedGenericName'
Invalid property UntranslatedGenericName
Type : 'Application'
Name : 'Control Center'
Invalid property Comment
Invalid property GenericName
Icon : 'kcontrol'
Exec : 'kcontrol -caption "%c" %i %m'
Terminal : '0'
Invalid property TerminalOptions
Invalid property Path
ServiceTypes : 'Application'
AllowAsDefault : '1'
InitialPreference : '1'
Invalid property Library
DesktopEntryPath : '/opt/kde/v3.5.7/share/applications/kde/KControl.desktop'
DesktopEntryName : 'kcontrol'
Categories : 'Qt - KDE'

Putting the Categories line back to the original, I see...

daly at riddler <25#> ktradertest Application '' "DesktopEntryName=='kcontrol'"
query is : Application
genericServiceType is :
constraint is : DesktopEntryName=='kcontrol'
preference is :
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-daly/ksycoca
kio (KTrader): query for Application : returning 0 offers
got 0 offers.

...and the Control Center does not start.

I even have success by changing the Categories line to

Categories=

If you'll remember in a prior e-mail I also mentioned that
right-clicking on the K Menu and selecting Menu Editor did nothing.  I
looked at kmenuedit.desktop in /opt/kde/v3.5.7/share/applications/kde.
I found:

Categories=Qt;KDE;Settings;

If I change this to

Categories=Qt;KDE;

The menu editor starts.  For completeness, please reference the
'ktradertest' outputs below.

daly at riddler <43#> ktradertest Application '' "DesktopEntryName=='kmenuedit'"
query is : Application
genericServiceType is :
constraint is : DesktopEntryName=='kmenuedit'
preference is :
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-daly/ksycoca
kio (KTrader): query for Application : returning 0 offers
got 0 offers.

And, with the Categories modified:

daly at riddler <44#> ktradertest Application '' "DesktopEntryName=='kmenuedit'"
query is : Application
genericServiceType is :
constraint is : DesktopEntryName=='kmenuedit'
preference is :
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-daly/ksycoca
kio (KTrader): query for Application : returning 1 offers
got 1 offers.
---- Offer 0 ----
DocPath : 'kmenuedit/index.html'
kio (KService*): Request for unknown property 'OnlyShowIn'
Invalid property OnlyShowIn
kio (KService*): Request for unknown property 'UntranslatedGenericName'
Invalid property UntranslatedGenericName
Type : 'Application'
Name : 'Menu Editor'
Invalid property Comment
Invalid property GenericName
Icon : 'kmenuedit'
Exec : 'kmenuedit'
Terminal : '0'
Invalid property TerminalOptions
Invalid property Path
ServiceTypes : 'Application'
AllowAsDefault : '1'
InitialPreference : '1'
Invalid property Library
DesktopEntryPath : '/opt/kde/v3.5.7/share/applications/kde/kmenuedit.desktop'
DesktopEntryName : 'kmenuedit'
Categories : 'Qt - KDE'

You'll probably know the answer to this or at least where to find it,
but is it possible that KDe doesn't recognize "Core" and "Settings" as
menu categories?  Is it possible that's what the root of the problem is?