Problem running kcontrol from menu

Ryan Daly daly at ctcnet.net
Mon Nov 12 20:56:24 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 21:03 +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > I did a bit more digging and found something.  I started to look into
> > the Categories in the various .desktop files that come with KDE.
> >
> > It appears that the default Categories line in KControl.desktop...
> >
> > Categories=Qt;KDE;Core;
> >
> > ...is causing a problem.  If I remove "Core;" so the line looks like...
> >
> > Categories=Qt;KDE;
> >
> > ...the Control Center starts with no problem.  And, I see:
>
> Weird, my KControl.desktop files does have this third category but they still
> work.
>
> According to the spec [1] "Core" is one of the registered Categories.
>
> Can you check if it makes a difference when you reorder the three list items?
> (e.g. Qt;Core;KDE)

The order does not seem to matter.

If I remove all but Core, it does not start.  If I remove just Core,
things are OK.

Also, if I add another valid category to the list, things are OK.

> Do any of the .desktop files installed in /usr/share/applications
> contain "Core" or "Settings"?

Since my $prefix is different, I looked
in /opt/kde/v3.5.7/share/applications.  I found the following:

: riddler 55#; fgrep \;Core\; *
Help.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;Core;
Home.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;Core;
KControl.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;Core;
Kfind.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;Core;

: riddler 56#; fgrep \;Settings\; *
kappfinder.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;Settings;
kcmkicker.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;Settings;
kdepasswd.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;Settings;
kgamma.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;Settings;X-KDE-settings-peripherals;
kpersonalizer.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;Settings;
kwalletmanager.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;Settings;
printers.desktop:Categories=Qt;KDE;X-KDE-settings-hardware;Settings;

The only problem is I'm not sure where in the menu structure these files
live so that I can attempt to start them.