smb://

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss03 at volumehost.net
Mon May 28 10:33:24 BST 2007

On Monday 28 May 2007, Hans van der Merwe <hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za> wrote
about 'Re: [kde] smb://':
> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 17:23 +0100, Graham wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 25 May 2007 10:56:33 +0200
> >
> > Hans van der Merwe <hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za> wrote:
> > > Anyone know if there are plans for kio_smb to accept MS version of
> > > smb:// URIs.
> > > ie "smb:\\server\share" or more accurately "\\server\share"
> >
> > As has been pointed out, those are NOT urls because they don't follow
> > the RFC for urls which is the way standards are set.
> >
> > I understand your difficulty, but it arises from a misunderstanding
> > by your fellow Windows users.  Just because an OS is used by more
> > people than anything else does NOT necessarily mean it follows
> > standards that have been agreed.
>
> How much of a "standard" is CIFS? or MSWordDOC/OOXML or WMV/WMA or NTFS
> etc etc.  Just complaining about MS not being standard based did not get
> these working under Linux.

And I wouldn't care if they didn't.  If someone send me a file/url in a
format I can't handle, I ask them for it in a format I can.  I also send
others Ogg/Theora, Ogg/Vorbis, and ODF files, but I don't have an issue
putting content in any other standard format, if requested.

(And, IIRC, CIFS is a standard.)

> I agree - complain to anyone who will listen about evil MS and their
> practises, but also try and get it to work in Linux.
> As I said - smbmount is getting this by allowing \\ as well as //.

Yes, but kio_* has to handle things *other* than UNC paths.  The question
I'd ask is, if kio_* treats \ like / does it break any protocols that
follow the standard.  If not, it sounds like a good idea, might be a nice
JJ to throw up on bugs.kde.org.  If it would, I'm against it entirely.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))