smb://

Hans van der Merwe hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za
Mon May 28 08:50:11 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 17:23 +0100, Graham wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2007 10:56:33 +0200
> Hans van der Merwe <hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know if there are plans for kio_smb to accept MS version of
> > smb:// URIs.
> > ie "smb:\\server\share" or more accurately "\\server\share"
> > Im the lone linux user in our 60 odd windows domain company, everytime
> > someone mails me a link to a share on a server I have to copy-paste
> > and replace all \\ with //.
> > smbmount does accept \\ or //
>
> As has been pointed out, those are NOT urls because they don't follow
> the RFC for urls which is the way standards are set.
>
> I understand your difficulty, but it arises from a misunderstanding
> by your fellow Windows users.  Just because an OS is used by more people
> than anything else does NOT necessarily mean it follows standards that
> have been agreed. Microsoft obviously wants to go its own way
> irrespective of the standards that have been agreed. It would be much
> more helpful in they abided by standards and then the internet would
> not be a place of mixed standards.

How much of a "standard" is CIFS? or MSWordDOC/OOXML or WMV/WMA or NTFS
etc etc.  Just complaining about MS not being standard based did not get
these working under Linux.
I agree - complain to anyone who will listen about evil MS and their
practises, but also try and get it to work in Linux.
As I said - smbmount is getting this by allowing \\ as well as //.

E-Mail disclaimer:
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm