smb://

Hans van der Merwe hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za
Mon May 28 10:54:21 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 04:33 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 28 May 2007, Hans van der Merwe <hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za> wrote
> about 'Re: [kde] smb://':
> > On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 17:23 +0100, Graham wrote:

> > > As has been pointed out, those are NOT urls because they don't follow
> > > the RFC for urls which is the way standards are set.
> > >
> > > I understand your difficulty, but it arises from a misunderstanding
> > > by your fellow Windows users.  Just because an OS is used by more
> > > people than anything else does NOT necessarily mean it follows
> > > standards that have been agreed.
> >
> > How much of a "standard" is CIFS? or MSWordDOC/OOXML or WMV/WMA or NTFS
> > etc etc.  Just complaining about MS not being standard based did not get
> > these working under Linux.
>
> And I wouldn't care if they didn't.  If someone send me a file/url in a
> format I can't handle, I ask them for it in a format I can.  I also send
> others Ogg/Theora, Ogg/Vorbis, and ODF files, but I don't have an issue
> putting content in any other standard format, if requested.
>
> (And, IIRC, CIFS is a standard.)

Yes, sorry, CIFS is a standard.
Surely people you deal with is not going to go through the pain of
convert WMV video to OGG just to satisfy you? Or installing OpenOffice
because you cant read Doc files.
Or maybe they do, tell me your secret :)

> > I agree - complain to anyone who will listen about evil MS and their
> > practises, but also try and get it to work in Linux.
> > As I said - smbmount is getting this by allowing \\ as well as //.
>
> Yes, but kio_* has to handle things *other* than UNC paths.  The question
> I'd ask is, if kio_* treats \ like / does it break any protocols that
> follow the standard.  If not, it sounds like a good idea, might be a nice
> JJ to throw up on bugs.kde.org.  If it would, I'm against it entirely.

Will do.
No sure, if it breaks other standard (real standard) Im also against it
- but kio_smb does smb stuff so replacing \\ with // or other way around
will only effect kio_smb.

But again, I would like to see all this happen much "lower" in the
desktop/OS layers - so that all apps can benefit from it.
This is not new - even Windows is doing this.  And me by hand - smbmount
my MythTV source dir so that Mplayer can get to it.

E-Mail disclaimer:
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm