smb://

Graham gct3 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri May 25 17:23:35 BST 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007 10:56:33 +0200

Hans van der Merwe <hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za> wrote:

> Anyone know if there are plans for kio_smb to accept MS version of

> smb:// URIs.

> ie "smb:\\server\share" or more accurately "\\server\share"

> Im the lone linux user in our 60 odd windows domain company, everytime

> someone mails me a link to a share on a server I have to copy-paste

> and replace all \\ with //.

> smbmount does accept \\ or //

As has been pointed out, those are NOT urls because they don't follow

the RFC for urls which is the way standards are set.

I understand your difficulty, but it arises from a misunderstanding

by your fellow Windows users.  Just because an OS is used by more people

than anything else does NOT necessarily mean it follows standards that

have been agreed. Microsoft obviously wants to go its own way

irrespective of the standards that have been agreed. It would be much

more helpful in they abided by standards and then the internet would

not be a place of mixed standards.

Since Windows is a closed-source system we don't know what the

developers are dreaming up for the future, but instead of

cutting-and-pasting why not explain to all your Windows users that the

way they have set the string does not agree with the standard.  And

(perhaps) ask them to use the correct format before sending to you :-)

- --

Graham