smb://

Hans van der Merwe hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za
Fri May 25 13:38:48 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 05:06 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 25 May 2007 03:56:33 Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> > Anyone know if there are plans for kio_smb to accept MS version of
> > smb:// URIs.
> > ie "smb:\\server\share" or more accurately "\\server\share"
>
> Those aren't URIs.  URIs MUST, per the relevent RFCs, use '://' to separate
> the protocol and the authority and '/' to separate the authority from the
> path.

Ye, sure, MS makes up "standards" as they go along, but I dont see them
conforming anytime soon, so I think KDE must pickup the ball.

Anyway, I think the whole kio idea must be implemented on a much
"native" layer of the OS, not the windows manager. Now when I browse a
ODF or GIMP file on our network and double-click on it - GIMP and
OpenOffice just shouts at me - because they dont understand smb://
The windows manager (being KDE, Gnome, etc) must request some "network
layer" (I think FUSE is something like this) to mount and provide a
temporary directory to that share, then anything that can access local
files will be able to access the network share.
just my 2c worth

> kio_* accepts URIs, not something else (like UNC paths with smb: stuck on the
> front).  That said, it would be sweet if Klipper and Kmail (etc.) would
> recognize UNC paths and translate them to the appropriate URLs (although, I
> don't think they do so for POSIX paths)
>
> > I see this as a no go for KDE "normal users" in a mixed Win-Lin
> > environment.
>
> I don't, but I've been the only (or one of two) linux users in various Windows
> domains (of different sizes) for years now, and am well-steeped in the linux
> eliteism.

So what do you do when someone sends you link to server share?
Copy-Paste-Replace?
This will not fly, even with willing computer users.  Just as
copy-paste-uudecode is not the accepted way of viewing email attached
images anymore.

E-Mail disclaimer:
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm