smb://

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss03 at volumehost.net
Fri May 25 11:06:50 BST 2007

On Friday 25 May 2007 03:56:33 Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> Anyone know if there are plans for kio_smb to accept MS version of
> smb:// URIs.
> ie "smb:\\server\share" or more accurately "\\server\share"

Those aren't URIs.  URIs MUST, per the relevent RFCs, use '://' to separate
the protocol and the authority and '/' to separate the authority from the
path.

kio_* accepts URIs, not something else (like UNC paths with smb: stuck on the
front).  That said, it would be sweet if Klipper and Kmail (etc.) would
recognize UNC paths and translate them to the appropriate URLs (although, I
don't think they do so for POSIX paths)

> I see this as a no go for KDE "normal users" in a mixed Win-Lin
> environment.

I don't, but I've been the only (or one of two) linux users in various Windows
domains (of different sizes) for years now, and am well-steeped in the linux
eliteism.

I also don't know of any development in this direction, although who knows
what the Win32 team is dreaming up.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))