Screen resolution

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed May 9 14:44:16 BST 2007

On 09/05/07, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:
> On 2007/05/09 13:00 (GMT+0300) Dotan Cohen apparently typed:
>
> > I just noticed that my Dell Inspiron laptop, which bills it's screen
> > as 1400x1050,
>
> If Dell says it's 1400x1050, that's probably what it is, and what should be
> used by X. What model is it?

Inspiron 6400/ E1505

> > actually has 1680x050 usable pixels.
>
> How did you make this determination? 1680x1050 is a widescreen format
> suitable only for widescreen displays. 1400x1050 is a standard 1.33:1 format
> for normal format displays only.

It was billed as widescreen 1400x1050. Until now I never bothered to
calculate the aspect ratio. I found the proper resolution by disabling
the "fit graphics to screen" option in the bios. Further googling has
led me to discover that I'm not the only one to make this discovery.

Note that text has always been blurry, but now that the 1400 pixel
resolution isn't being stretched to 1680, it looks great. I'd like to
get the remaining 280 pixels working, though.