Screen resolution

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Wed May 9 17:34:51 BST 2007

On 2007/05/09 16:44 (GMT+0300) Dotan Cohen apparently typed:

> On 09/05/07, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:

>> On 2007/05/09 13:00 (GMT+0300) Dotan Cohen apparently typed:

>> > I just noticed that my Dell Inspiron laptop, which bills it's screen
>> > as 1400x1050,

>> If Dell says it's 1400x1050, that's probably what it is, and what should be
>> used by X. What model is it?

> Inspiron 6400/ E1505

>> > actually has 1680x050 usable pixels.

>> How did you make this determination? 1680x1050 is a widescreen format
>> suitable only for widescreen displays. 1400x1050 is a standard 1.33:1 format
>> for normal format displays only.

> It was billed as widescreen 1400x1050. Until now I never bothered to

My guess is that wherever you saw that was a mistake. The first link I found
that describes it says WSXGA+, which is 1680x1050, but it didn't say that
WSXGA+ is 1680x1050, which is good, because it isn't. 1400x1050 is SXGA+.
1680x1050 is WSXGA+.

> calculate the aspect ratio. I found the proper resolution by disabling
> the "fit graphics to screen" option in the bios. Further googling has
> led me to discover that I'm not the only one to make this discovery.

> Note that text has always been blurry, but now that the 1400 pixel
> resolution isn't being stretched to 1680, it looks great. I'd like to
> get the remaining 280 pixels working, though.

The right approach is to look or ask in an appropriate place. KDE doesn't
make X do things that X has not been configured to do. If you don't either
ask in a general X forum, or in a forum specific to the distro you use, you
may never get a usable answer.

Problems like yours are common topics of discussion on the SUSE and Mandriva
mailing lists which I have seen solved. I just don't have that hardware to
test with and thus no specifics to offer on what to change in xorg.conf.
--
"The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining
ever brighter till the full light of day."	Proverbs 4:18 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409