Starting kde

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 15:25:34 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 14:58, Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 16:29:10 John wrote:
> > Hi
> > The disc problem has got worse. The 10k3 scsi drive that generated the
> > error spins up, is detected by the scsi card but not by the kernel. The
> > other scsi drive (I have 2) that was functioning perfectly spins up but
> > spins down shortly afterwards. (I wonder if this might be down to using
> > scsirastools on it. It's a 10k2 drive and didn't respond to the
> > commands.) The kernel tries to spin it up but it doesn't respond and that
> > causes a kernel panic - fatal interrupt . When the drives were there I
> > just typed mount sdd1. The 10k2 drive was already mounted. The
> > scsirastools don't seem to need the drives to be mounted. The 10k3 drive
> > reported 0 bad block growth from about 800. I've no idea if that is good
> > or bad? If bad I would like to have a bit of a "conversation" with the
> > supplier. It should be new old stock.
> >
> > Startx generates a hostname lookup failure, 6 xauth not found error
> > messages and 1 xinit not found error message. I also tried startx in the
> > directory that contains all of the files and had the same result.
> > The suse safe mode prompt is none> rather than the usual john at john> or
> > john:/ in root and the root password is needed to get into it.
> > Me thinks suse is a bit over the top at times. I could have dumped data
> > to dvd if they had reported the problem and carried on into kde. The
> > system software etc is all on a sata raid.
> > Regards
> > John
>
> Hi,
>
> Bad blocks on a disc are always a bad thing. If you have your most valuable
> data backed up, I suggest that you replace the disc. If there are still
> important files on the corrupt disc, you could try to copy those to the
> other disc or CD/DVD, but the filesystem might already be damaged enough.
> (cdrecord, growisofs are tools that can burn discs from the command line).
>
> The strange prompt you have is probably because the system boots in single
> user mode or because the shell initialization scripts containing the prompt
> setup are gone.
>
> When a bad block occurs it might be already too late to report the problem,
> because depending on where the bad block is, it might have caused serious
> damage to the filesystem. In your case, serious enough, so that X can't
> start because apparently it can not find some files.
>
> Good luck!
The system isn't on the scsi drives and when these were "mountable" the kernel
noted that all of the system drives had been mounted before going into suse's
safe mode. I suspect it's down to paths in the environment variables but have
no idea how to fix it or restart the kernel in multi user mode if that is
also a problem.
I understand that scsi drives automatically map out bad blocks and that this
is also done at manufacture as there are defects at that stage. That also
applies to ide etc but they lack the auto fix. The tools I used are intended
to allow users to gain some idea of just how long a disc can be expected to
last. I assume the 800 is from the last format. The 0 growth indicates that
things haven't changed since that.
--
Regards
John