Network sound problem

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 07:28:39 BST 2007

On Wednesday 11 July 2007 19:37:36 Basil Fowler wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007 07:20, Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> > You can save your script to the <kde base dir>/env (/opt/kde3/env on
> > openSuSE). Though I am not sure if the DISPLAY variable would at all be
> > set when KDE executes these scripts. But try it out.
> >
> > Best regards.
>
> Hi,
>
> The procedure suggested works partially.  I put the relevent lines in
> ${HOME}/.kde/env.  The startkde script loads the new environment variables.
>
> The DISPLAY variable is set correctly, namely eccles:0.0.
>
> On login from the slave, all system sounds are played correctly, coming out
> of the the slave computer's speakers.
>
> Unfortunately, no other applications (such as the CD player kscd or
> Kaffeine) sends the sound to the slave.  All sound output goes to the
> master's speakers.
>
> Is the arts daemon in the master taking over?  I do not really want to
> install ARTSD on the slave, because, as I understand the situation, it
> requires the ballast of kdelibs, The slave is slow (147 bogomips and 128 MB
> ram), but it can display a DVD over the network, with some frame dropping
> at standard window size, and without frame dropping if the window size is
> reduced by about half.
>
> Can anyone give me any further advice?
>
> TIA

Hi,

I don't know about kscd, but kaffeine most probably is configured to use xine
engine. If so, you can set xine to use ESD as output plugin. Start Kaffeine,
select Settings -> xine Engine Parameters -> audio tab -> driver.

Kaffeine may be using gstreamer as engine. I have never used that one and have
no idea if it can be configured to use different output driver.

Best regards.

--
Blade hails you...

Give in, give in for my touch