Network sound problem

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Jul 11 18:09:21 BST 2007

On Wednesday 11 July 2007, Basil Fowler wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007 07:20, Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> > You can save your script to the <kde base dir>/env (/opt/kde3/env on
> > openSuSE). Though I am not sure if the DISPLAY variable would at all be
> > set when KDE executes these scripts. But try it out.
> >
> > Best regards.
>
> Hi,
>
> The procedure suggested works partially.  I put the relevent lines in
> ${HOME}/.kde/env.  The startkde script loads the new environment variables.
>
> The DISPLAY variable is set correctly, namely eccles:0.0.
>
> On login from the slave, all system sounds are played correctly, coming out
> of the the slave computer's speakers.

Excellent

> Unfortunately, no other applications (such as the CD player kscd or
> Kaffeine) sends the sound to the slave.  All sound output goes to the
> master's speakers.

My guess would be that these programs do not use aRts but some other output
method and might have to be configured for ESD as well.

> Is the arts daemon in the master taking over?  I do not really want to
> install ARTSD on the slave, because, as I understand the situation, it
> requires the ballast of kdelibs

I think aRts does not depend on kdelibs, but actually the other way around.
Though your findings indicate that all aRts output is correctly relayed
already, so installing aRts client side wouldn't change much if anything at
all.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring