Network sound problem

Basil Fowler b.j.fowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 17:37:36 BST 2007

On Wednesday 11 July 2007 07:20, Boyan Tabakov wrote:

> You can save your script to the <kde base dir>/env (/opt/kde3/env on
> openSuSE). Though I am not sure if the DISPLAY variable would at all be set
> when KDE executes these scripts. But try it out.
>
> Best regards.

Hi,

The procedure suggested works partially.  I put the relevent lines in
${HOME}/.kde/env.  The startkde script loads the new environment variables.

The DISPLAY variable is set correctly, namely eccles:0.0.

On login from the slave, all system sounds are played correctly, coming out of
the the slave computer's speakers.

Unfortunately, no other applications (such as the CD player kscd or Kaffeine)
sends the sound to the slave.  All sound output goes to the master's
speakers.

Is the arts daemon in the master taking over?  I do not really want to install
ARTSD on the slave, because, as I understand the situation, it requires the
ballast of kdelibs, The slave is slow (147 bogomips and 128 MB ram), but it
can display a DVD over the network, with some frame dropping at standard
window size, and without frame dropping if the window size is reduced by
about half.

Can anyone give me any further advice?

TIA

Basil