K9copy Problems

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Jan 18 22:15:32 GMT 2007

Graham is a darn nice person I don't care what anybody says!
<snip>
> Is there any way that I can copy the dvd in a
> form that it can be played back on a dvd player attached to my
> television?

Yes there is, the old fashioned CLI method. Copying can be a pain but once
thats done it's not to bad

Basically, if you have some .vobs or just a single one created/ripped by some
other ap you can make your own dvd that plays but it may involve shrinking it
down to fit on a dvd disk. This is not difficult but involves time to run the
various steps as processing video is resource intensive.

I learned how to do it with this
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/print/308

I use this for very simple dvd's as writing up your own dvd.xml can be a pain
but if you just want to have a dvd that starts and has a chapter break every,
say, 5 minutes this is the way to go. "man dvdauthor" provides example
dvd.xml's

As with anything Linux I had to learn a bit but in the end I have complete
control and I have yet to have found any ap that does the same thing
consistantly time after time. Maybe there are some out there. However, with
some time in the manpages and an understanding of the commands. You can
create a script that with commands being commented/uncommented as required
will do the job every time. That's what I have done.

I also use qdvdauthor sometimes when I want nice menus etc. It will allow you
to take any suitably formated video and turn it into an .iso ready to burn
but it is not perfect and you need to have every dependency covered, but if
you get it running right it lets you do some god stuff. If you have an error
it can be a pain until you sort out the dependency. It's the best and most
flexible of anything I've looked at

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Movement stopped is no movement,
and rest set in motion is no rest.

Written on Prickle-Prickle, the 19th of Chaos, 3173
http://www.turtlespond.net/