Managing dynamically plugged media

Sun Jan 7 13:10:16 GMT 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 17:11 IST, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 10:53, kitts wrote:
> > Is there a better way to manage USB and CDROM media?
> >
> > When i insert a CDROM into the drive i get a popup asking me what i
> > want to do? I i open in a new window, i get the CDROM icon on my
> > desktop and am able to browse it. But if i choose to cancel (so as to
> > return to it later) it does not mount and hence is not visible on my
> > desktop. I use kubuntu and here system->storage media gives me
> > '/media' instead to 'media:/'.  I would rather that it mounts it or
> > atleast shows it on the desktop and /media and mounts when clicked
> > upon.
> >
> > Second, i have a backup drive that i connect over USB. I want this
> > drive to be auto mounted and don't want the popup asking me what to
> > do. But then i want this popup to come up for other USB media like
> > for memory sticks. Is it possible to configure these options for
> > specific partitions / drives / devices?
>
> I have just been playing with something like this with my digital
> camera.
>
> What you need to do is firstly look in the device manager for the hal
> key info.udi for the device that the volume sits on (be careful - the
> way to find out which entry it is is to look at the volume first and
> then use the key block.storage_device.  The string this refers to is
> the udi you want)
>
> Then you need to create a file  ~/.kde/share/config/mediamanagerrc and
> in it put
>
> [the string from info.udi]
> automount=true
>
> These two lines cause the media ioslave to automount the device when its
> plugged in.

Yes. However, you can also do this with the GUI. Right click on the device
icon and select properties->Mounting and check the option to Mount
automatically. I dint realize that this was device specific until i saw the
mediamanagerrc file! :-)

I just checked and indeed it is specific to the given device.

> I am not sure you can control to sufficient granularity whether a window
> pops up.  If you look at dialog that does pop up and gives you a
> selection items there is a "configure" button on the bottom left of it.
> If you select here you can "auto toggle" an action (or do nothing)
> based on the different mime types.  Mime types seems to be unmounted or
> mounted versions of various base types - so I am not sure if you can
> differenciate between disk and usb stick.

I just experimented with this and as you rightly mention, it only
differentiates between mounted and unmounted. For now, this solves my
problem as my backup drive is the only device that i wish to have it not
ask me and to have automounted.

Now to figure out how to have unmounted media show up on the desktop and
in /media. media:/ works as expected. I only dislike using it as it breaks
the traditional file path style which causes problem in some occasions.
--
Cheers!
kitts