Network audio and KDE

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 5 23:01:58 GMT 2007

Shawn Willden wrote:

> I have a laptop that more or less permanently lives next my desktop.  I
> often play videos on it while working on the desktop.
>
> What I'd like to do is to make use of network audio to shunt the audio
> stream from the laptop to the desktop machine, taking advantage of the
> vastly better
> 300W 5.1 speaker system on that machine.  The two machines are connected
> with a Gig-E LAN, so bandwidth and even latency aren't an issue.
>
> It appears that ARTS should be able to handle this, but I can't figure out
> how
> to make it work.

http://www.arts-project.org/doc/handbook/faq.html#id2805370 has some ancient
instructions on getting arts network transparency running. I have no idea
if they're still relevant though. Alternatively, there's NMM at
http://www.networkmultimedia.org/ - again, I'm not sure if it provides what
you want.

Regards,
Philip