USB drive automount successfully, but cannot open folder

Franklin franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw
Fri Jan 5 02:36:41 GMT 2007

Hi, list.

I posted this question to KDE forum, but still couldn't get answers after some
discussion.

When I plug in my USB drive, it was mounted automatically.  Then KDE tried to
open the mount point folder with kio_file, and replied an "/mnt/removable is
a folder, but a file was expected." error message.

I tried hard to find where the setting is, but in vain.  I also hacked into
the kdelibs/kio code and inserted some debug messages.

The following is part of the debug messages from KDE.

<debug messages>
kio (KDirListerCache): [virtual void KDirListerCache::FilesChanged(const
KURL::List&)] only half implemented
kio (KDirListerCache): [void KDirListerCache::updateDirectory(const KURL&)]
media:/
media kioslave: MediaImpl::slotMediumChanged:sda1
media kioslave: MediaImpl::slotMediumChanged: updating mp_mounting
media kioslave: MediaList::list()
media kioslave: ()
remote kioslave: RemoteDirNotify::FilesChanged
remote kioslave: RemoteDirNotify::toRemoteURL(media:/sda1)
remote kioslave: result => KURL()
kded: HomeDirNotify::FilesChanged
kded: HomeDirNotify::toHomeURL(media:/sda1)
kded: result => KURL()
kded: SystemDirNotify::toSystemURL(media:/sda1)
kded: system:/media/sda1
kded: MediaNotifier::onMediumChange( sda1, false)
media kioslave: MediaList::findByName(sda1)
kio (KDirListerCache): [virtual void KDirListerCache::FilesChanged(const
KURL::List&)] only half implemented
kio (KDirListerCache): [void KDirListerCache::updateDirectory(const KURL&)]
media:/
kio (KDirListerCache): [virtual void KDirListerCache::FilesChanged(const
KURL::List&)] only half implemented
kio (KDirListerCache): [void KDirListerCache::updateDirectory(const KURL&)]
system:/media
media kioslave: MediaDirNotify::toMediaURL(system:/media/sda1)
media kioslave: MediaList::list()
media kioslave: ()
remote kioslave: RemoteDirNotify::FilesChanged
remote kioslave: RemoteDirNotify::toRemoteURL(system:/media/sda1)
remote kioslave: result => KURL()
kded: HomeDirNotify::FilesChanged
kded: HomeDirNotify::toHomeURL(system:/media/sda1)
kded: result => KURL()
kded: SystemDirNotify::toSystemURL(system:/media/sda1)
kded: KURL()
kio (KDirListerCache): [virtual void KDirListerCache::FilesChanged(const
KURL::List&)] only half implemented
kio (KDirListerCache): [void KDirListerCache::updateDirectory(const KURL&)]
system:/media
kdeinit: Got EXEC_NEW 'kio_file' from launcher.
kio (KLauncher): kio_file (pid 32389) up and running.
kio_file: Starting 32389
kio (KIOJob): error 9 /mnt/removable
kio (KIOJob): error 9 /mnt/removable
kio (KIOJob): error 9 /mnt/removable
kio (Scheduler): Scheduler: killing slave 32377
kio (Slave): killing slave pid=32377 (file://)
kio (KIOJob): Job::kill this=0x80b38e0 KIO::TransferJob m_progressId=0
quietly=true
kioexec: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header read failed, errno=104
kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header has invalid size (-1)
kio (kioslave): SlaveBase::waitForAnswer has read error.
kio_file: Error during 'put'. Aborting.
kdeinit: PID 32377 terminated.
kio (UIServer): UIServer::jobFinished id=3
kio (KDirWatch): KDirWatch-3 emitting dirty /etc/mtab

</debug messages>

The !!!! was inserted by myself before the error message dialog appeared.

Could anybody please give me some hints about:

1. How could I modify the behavior when USB plug in, change from "opening
folder" to "Do nothing"?
2. Why does KDE use kio_file to launch the mount point folder?  I cannot find
where the behavior is defined.  Is it a bug or just misconfigured?

Thanks for you help.

Regards,
Franklin