How to create missing icons for toolbar items in Kmail

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Feb 24 20:48:38 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 01:34, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday 23 February 2007 01:14, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > This is frustrating. I'm using Kmail on FC2, and the button doesn't exist
> > on Kmail 1.6.2 (using KDE 3.2.2-14.FC2.legacy Red Hat)
> >
> > I've just looked on Debian Etch on the other machine, which is using
> > Kmail 1.9.5 (Using KDE 3.5.5) and that has the button to change icon.
>
> It might still be possible to do it, but just not through the GUI.
> You could check what the respective change on the newer KMail does to
> KMail's configuration file and then apply the same to the older KMail's
> file (though it would be wise to make a backup copy first :))
>
> > Any suggestions Kevin on avoiding losing the mail, and bookmarks while
> > moving them would be very welcome.
>
> This is not too diffcult.
> First you need to find out where your mails are.
> This can be ~/Mail or .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail (not 1005 sure about the
> second one)
>
> For example I have been using KMail for ages, so the mail is on the old
> path, i.e. ~/Mail
>
> I can do a KMail backup, including config and addressbook like this
>
> $ tar cvzf mails.tgz
> Mail/ .kde/share/config/kmailrc .kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf
>
> Restoring is just untarring the archive, of course neither KMail nor
> KAddressBook should be running during either procedure :)
>
> Since ~/Mail is a compatability feature for people who started early to use
> KMail, it has to be present before running a new KMail the first time, so
> it can detect it, otherwise it will create a new mail directory in the
> second location mentioned above. If you already have this second location,
> there is nothing special to consider.

Hi Kevin. My mail is in ~/Mail, and following your suggestions I was able to
move it from FC2 to FC5 with no problems.

> The Konqueror bookmark file is .kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
> You can just copy it or include it in the transfer tar archive.

The bookmarks copied from FC2 to FC5 with no problems, apart from when
clicking on bookmarks in FC5 I have to hold the left mouse button, and scroll
down the list. if I just click on bookmarks it either just vanishes, or
brings up a small box asking me to create a folder. That's no big deal
though.

> A good check to see if you have everything is to create such a transfer
> archive and then create a new user account and unpack it there.
> The new user should then have KMail and Konqueror as you would expect them
> on the original account.
>
> ** Caution **
> Since the new user's KMail will have the same configuration, it will do the
> same mail checks if you have something like this enabled, so it might
> download new mails which you then don't have back on the real user account
> unless you do the transfer trick again in  the other direction,

No problems here, as I don't have regular mail checks, and the Distros I tried
this on had Kmail leaving the mail on the server.

> Cheers,
> Kevin

Thanks Kevin for the suggestions for moving mail, and bookmarks from one
distro to another. This has worked fine, but (horrible word that) I'm still
no further in getting the "change icon" button for the toolbar in Kmail on
FC2.

I have an instance of FC2 that I'm willing to sacrifice for the sake of just
seeing if it works. So what are the chances of upgrading just kdepim on this
FC2 install? Or would I need to also upgrade all the other KDE stuff? Perhaps
it's just not possible, in which case I'm willing to live with it. I know
where the icons are supposed to be on Kmail's toolbar, and the fact that they
are not clearly identified is not a problem.

Just a problem with using an ancient distro I suppose.

Nigel.