kmail problem

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 07:12:23 GMT 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 05:06:25 Bob Stia wrote:
> On Sunday 11 February 2007 09:08, Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> > On 11.2.2007 09:59:59 Bob Stia wrote:
> > > No output as user or root.
> > >
> > > Not making much headway here. Any other ideas/suggestions?
> >
> > OK. Give some details then - is your mail originally delivered to some
> > other server and then you access it from your local box, or is it
> > directly delivered to your box?
>
> No the mail should be delivered directly to the Kmail inbox from the ISP.
> No other servers. The other two email addressses behave correctly.

Your ISP cannot deliver the  mail to your local folder unless you have a
running SMTP server on your machine that will accept the mail! In your case
this must be postfix.

> > If you do receive the mail in
> > /var/spool/mail, then you must have made some configuration that could
> > have allowed this!
>
> As stated previously, this was the result of a brand new install of 10.2.
> I don't know what the default is but I did not purposely set it up to
> use anything but Kmail

Then the situation is probably like this (at least I can't think of any other
possible config that could be effective by default, assuming that you are a
normal Internet user, there are no network file systems mounted, you are the
one that installed the machine, etc.): Your ISP receives a mail that should
be sent to you. They relay the mail to your local SMTP server (they are your
ISP, so they know how to reach your host). Your SMTP server delivers the mail
to the folder it uses as default, which is /var/spool/mail.

This setup sounds a little weird to me, because why should your ISP assume you
have a running SMTP server?

> > It can't happen on its own. So, what exactly is
> > your setup?
>
> The desired setup is; no intervention by any MTA. Kmail interacts
> directly with the ISP.

If the ISP's policy is to resend the mail to you, you won't be able to use
KMail to download the mail.

> > The mailer that is used in SuSE is postfix - the
> > configuration is in /etc/postfix. Maybe your remote mail server (if
> > there is one) connects to your local postfix server and that is how
> > your mail ends up in /var/spool/mail.
>
> No, no remote mail server unless you are referring to my ISP. Even if
> that were so, the other two email addresses on the same ISP work as
> expected.
>
> > Then a configuration on the
> > server might be changed.
>
> What server, No server locally or anywhere else else. Only the ISP

The SMTP server, postfix.

> > What exactly is this mail account?
>
> Ok, there are three mail accounts:
>     rnr at sanctum.com     (the problem one)
>     hiddenlake at sanctum.com     (works as desired)
>     usr at sanctum.com       (works as desired)
> The ISP is sanctum.com
>
> > If you
> > must use postfix as the delivery agent, you can still configure it to
> > deliver the mail to a specific folder (say KMail's local folder in
> > ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail)
>
> Why would I have to use postfix?  Is that a default in 10.2 now??

As I said, your mail can't just appear in your local mail box (/var/spool/mail
or whatever).

If I am right about the situation, you can tweak the config of postfix so that
the mail appears in some of the KMail's or leave the account set as a local
maildir.

So, what I propose to you is contact your ISP and ask them to explain to you
the exact procedure they use to deliver the mail to you. In order to use
KMail as "usual", the ISP must be providing either POP3 or IMAP servers to
access the mail.

--
Blade hails you...

This one is for you, for you