Can't Set Up Printer

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Mon Dec 24 10:02:47 GMT 2007

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 06:29:17 pm Graham wrote:
> I had an HP PSC 1610 set up with Gutsy, and it printed Ok.  This
> morning I came to print something on it - and it didn't
> start to print.
> I noticed that the printer was no longer in the list of printers set
> up, so I decided to set it up again.  The print wizard came up but the
> line allowing you to select a local printer was blanked out.
>
> I rebooted and then changed the printer to my old HP Photosmart 7660,
> but exactly the same thing - I couldn't install the printer because the
> top line was again blanked out.
>
> Can anybody help me?

First off is the printer connected? has usb cable come undone?, is the
printerturned on? For example on my server 1 printer is now turned on so if I
run lsusb ( as root) this is what I get:
root at box:~# lsusb
Bus 4 Device 1: ID 0000:0000
Bus 2 Device 1: ID 0000:0000
Bus 1 Device 4: ID 03f0:1204 Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 930c
Bus 1 Device 1: ID 0000:0000
Bus 3 Device 1: ID 0000:0000

Now when I turn on the psc2355:
root at box:~# lsusb
Bus 4 Device 1: ID 0000:0000
Bus 2 Device 1: ID 0000:0000
Bus 1 Device 5: ID 03f0:4911 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 1 Device 4: ID 03f0:1204 Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 930c
Bus 1 Device 1: ID 0000:0000
Bus 3 Device 1: ID 0000:0000

Next check out the CUPS server, if your system is recognising the printer cups
should find it too.

That is if the CUPS server is running. I can check that out on my server like
this:
root at box:~# ps -A | grep cups
 2351 ?        00:00:00 cupsd

This means the CUPS daemon/service/whatever you want to call it is running.

AFAIK, KDE's Kprinter won't do anything unless CUPS is running and printer(s)
are plugged in/installed/configured. I.E. this may not be a KDE problem.

Sorry, I can't help you any more than that as I don't know anything specific
about how Gutsy (I assume ubuntu) handles such things.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Movement stopped is no movement,
and rest set in motion is no rest.

http://www.turtlespond.net
Written on: Pungenday, the 66th of The Aftermath, 3173
Want my weather? http://www.turtlespond.net/Mornington-weather.cgi