Can't Set Up Printer

Graham grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 24 15:13:59 GMT 2007

Thanks Rick, for trying to help.  Before I start with my answer, I am
running Kubuntu 7.10 ("Gutsy").  Now to my results.

Yes, I have checked and rechecked (and so has my wife!) that the power
and usb connectors are still connected.

With the HP PSC 1610 turned off, and running lsusb, I get this:

root at graham-desktop:/home/graham# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 045e:0039 Microsoft Corp. IntelliMouse Optical
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. at43301 4-port Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

and after switching the HP PSC 1610 on and running lsusb, I get this:

root at graham-desktop:/home/graham# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 045e:0039 Microsoft Corp. IntelliMouse Optical
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. at43301 4-port Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:4811 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Now when I grep cups by running ps -A | grep cups, I get this:

root at graham-desktop:/home/graham# ps -A | grep cups
 4896 ?        00:00:00 cupsd

It looks like the printer is recognised and the cups daemon seems to be
running.  However, when I go to System Settings (in the Kicker menu) ->
Printers -> Add -> Add Printer/Class and get the Add Printer Wizard it
takes me to the Add Backend Page and the first item ("local printer
(parallel, serial, usb") is greyed out.

If I go into Administrator Mode, and repeat this process, it is still
greyed out.  I have checked the other options in the Add Backend page,
and intuitively they don't seem relevant (I don't want to go too far
unless I do something to make the situation worse).

The last thing I need to check is if the correct cups daemon is running
I have the server at /var/run/cups/cups.sock

A word of explanation about my reasons for needing this.  I am a
university student who needs print off an assignment and deliver it to
my Faculty Office before 2.30pm on 28th December, and send it
electronically by 5pm on the same date.  I hoped to get it in today,
but its not to be.  If you cannot help me, my only alternative would be
reinstallation over Christmas...:-(

--

Graham Todd